Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ed Sherry has died


Ed Sherry 


A great friend to many in the JFK assassination researcher community, Ed Sherry, AKA Treefrog, died today.

I first met Ed as I was walking around downtown Dallas looking for someplace that could offer me a decent breakfast.  I got a bad omelet somewhere.  We would hang out at the conferences. He would often record presentations or whole conferences for me that I could not get to for one reason or another.  He sent me documents in the mail a lot, rarely if ever with the RIF number or any clue where he got what he was sending me.

He gave me lifetime membership in the South Florida Research Group.  I still have that card.

One summer Ed Sherry, Malcolm Blunt, Lise Kirkham and I went to Archives II for a week getting documents.  One of our finds was a folder from the Garrison papers marked "Current Shit."

It's hard to believe he's gone.  Ed, it was a privilege to know you, you made the quest for information and justice for JFK fun.  I will still look for you at the next conference.

Malcolm Blunt and Ed were very good pals.  I envied where they were in life, their ages, that they have memories of JFK being alive, and that they had done okay in their chosen fields and were retired or nearly so, so that they had the ability to go to Archives II, especially Malcolm, to go there frequently and for a good long time and just get stuff.

It was always fun to hook up with Ed and Malcolm and get a bite to eat.  Once we went to get a lunch in the Adolphus.  One thing about Ed was he never liked a glass of cold water, it had to be room temperature.  And Malcolm always had his meat thoroughly cooked, as in ruined.  For some reason Malcolm and Ed each ordered a hamburger.  And Ed was telling us a story and picked the wrong burger, Malcolm's, and Malcolm was trying to get a word in edgewise to Ed, to shut up for a second, that's my burger, like my own mother in a way, once she got going with a story nothing interrupted it, and on Ed went with the story and to consume Malcolm's burger.

Malcolm wrote this about Ed

My closest buddy is gone; the "Frog" is no more and what a great loss it is, not just for me but for all of us who knew him. I first met Ed 21 years ago in Dallas (where else) and we became firm friends from the very start; Malcolm Blunt the eccentric Englishman and Ed Sherry the quiet American. Over the years I visited the U.S. National Archives many times and always ended up staying down in Lake Worth, Florida with Ed in his beautiful old home. He was always the perfect host and we shared a common interest in Flea Markets, Antique Stores and Yard Sales so those visits were often very hectic with many early morning starts. Over the years Ed's mailing list expanded exponentially, at the last count well over 700 people were on the receiving end of his forwards. Ed was a very special person, he put his hand in his pocket on so many occasions to help people out, quietly without any fuss; some people experiencing hard times received money to survive, some got money for air tickets and hotels when a JFK conference was in town....he was always thinking of others. such a kind, kind human being. And I must say he always had the patience of a Saint, especially in dealing with me!!!...my often bizarrre requests for assistance such as the transportation of a large collection of JFK books and documents from the U.S. to the U.K. was handled with his usual quiet efficiency. He managed it all; his interest and quest for knowledge remained undiminished, even in his last weeks, when I visited with him he was as sharp as ever and was keenly interested in the two conferences in Bethesda and Alexandria. Ed knew his days were numbered but had such great stoicism and dignity, that which is so much of his generation. So farewell, my dear friend, Malcolm, or as nicknamed by Ed..."The Phantom"......

Ed requested in lieu of flowers that donations be sent to
Hospice of Palm Beach County
5300 East Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL 33407

I believe Ed donated some of his JFK collection to Baylor University  They have a memorial site up.

No comments:

Post a Comment